The student news site of Santa Margarita Catholic High School in Rancho Santa Margarita, California.

The Eagle Eye

Devastation in Mexico

Ryan Dunker, Sport Editor

Mexico had three major earthquakes.

Mexico experienced three earthquakes each with a magnitude of 6.1 or greater. Although all three earthquakes struck in Southern Mexico, the effects are felt throughout the continent. The three earthquakes impacted Mexico City, Veracruz, Oaxaca and beyond. Each city experienced massive destruction and damage as well as a high death toll.

The first earthquake that hit Mexico occurred on Sept. 9 and had an 8.1 magnitude according to authorities. This earthquake struck on the coast south of Oaxaca. Roads and highways experienced damage as well as the destruction of homes and other infrastructure. The reported death toll was nearly 100, according to Mexican authorities.

Junior Julio Gutierrez, has family that lives in Mexico and recalls his own personal experience with earthquakes.

“My family wasn’t affected and I was able to contact them.  However, in the beginning, I was worried that they could have been affected,” Gutierrez said.

The second earthquake, which had a 7.1 magnitude struck between Mexico City and Oaxaca last Sept 19. Although this earthquake was not as large as the first one, the quake impacted both Mexico City and Oaxaca. The death toll nears 300 and searches for survivors still continue. Both cities experienced a catastrophic impact on infrastructure including buildings, homes, and road systems.

“The earthquakes affected the coasts which could lead to tsunami so I was wondering in my head if [my family] was okay,” Gutierrez said.

The third earthquake, which had a magnitude of 6.1 has been determined an aftershock. Aftershocks typically occur after a major earthquake strikes they aren’t as strong but can make matters worse. Scientists have not been able to determine which earthquake the aftershock is from.

The aftershock struck south of Oaxaca and did not have much impact on Mexico City. It halted the search for survivors and added to the destruction left by prior earthquakes. Oaxaca was still recovering from the second earthquake when the third one hit.

Problems exist in communicating with friends, family, or survivors. After an earthquake, the city it impacts may be left without power for several days until authorities can find a solution.

“The idea of an earthquake frightens me because they can be traumatic events that can separate families,” Gutierrez said.

Many people have lost their homes, valuables and businesses. The displaced people are forced to stay in shelters around the capital and surrounding cities seeking a roof to sleep under as well as food and water. Schools are closed and many citizens are out of power.

With these three earthquakes devastating Southern Mexico relief efforts,  donations are being collected to help rebuild Mexico. Anybody can donate for support and relief via UNICEF.