The student news site of Santa Margarita Catholic High School in Rancho Santa Margarita, California.

The Eagle Eye

The Eagle Eye

The Eagle Eye

Next Level Learning in London

SM Students compete in a conference halfway across the world.
London Parliament At Sunset Free Stock Photo - Public Domain Pictures
Photo by Creative Commons

All the hustle and bustle of a summer-long preparation period leads to students from the MUN program heading off to a conference in London. At Royal Russel School in the South of London, these 15 individuals will spend 4 days debating solutions to issues as prevalent as leadership roles for women in society and the usage of private military contractors.

In preparation, each attendee completed a research notebook for each of the 4 topics they will be discussing in London. The notebooks consist of various internet sources that are now scribbled with highlights and annotations that will help them with the conference and papers they write.

In addition to these notebooks, the students wrote 1,000-word resolutions on each of their topics, comprised of colorful and unique solutions to combat their issues. With all prep work completed over the summer, students peer edit and revise each other’s resolutions anxiously before the anticipated trip arrives. One last step of the preparation remains: the creation of a speech that will be presented in front of 400 delegates. Almost every year, at least one delegation from SM wins an award, proving the prep work is worth it.

After much practice and work, the students are ready.

Outside of the committee room, individuals will get the opportunity to attend a disco with delegates they meet at the conference, go on a Harry Potter Studios Tour, experience Buckingham Palace, the London Eye, and dive into British culture. The trip is chaperoned by Mr. Remmell and Mrs. Schmidt and is bound to be another successful run.

Over the span of 10 days, the students will become acquainted with the British lifestyle, make friends with other peers they might have never met, and attend the experience of a lifetime. Those who have participated in the past and reflect back emphasize the MUN London trip as the highlight of their high school career.