Eagle trainers

Student trainer helps an athlete.

Athletes on the field, in the pool and on the court get the fans’ attention, however, there is more behind the scenes than what meets the eye. They contribute to the games by keeping the athletes healthy and game-ready. Athletic trainers are unknown to those who aren’t current athletes.

Athletic trainers do more than just give athletes water or Gatorade. These trainers wrap injuries, operate ice baths, assist athletes who have gotten hurt on the scene and provide information on health. Many athletes rely on the assistance trainers provide every day.

Trainers not only are working with one another but with fellow Eagle athletics and professionals. Athletic trainers, Mike Kingsbury and Nick Anderson, work in the athletic training office every day, completing a variety of tasks needed by the athletic center.

Part of their job is making sure all the athletic paperwork, contracts, and agreements are turned in on time. For example, athletes must have their yearly physical completed before practicing or competing. There are also lots of measures and protocols they mandate to make sure they are properly handling an evolving issue with concussions.

Other tasks include providing parents some relief knowing that if an injury occurs to their child, professional help is provided. Athletic trainers are also able to diagnose or treat any issue a student-athlete may be having. Although, some cases may need further assistance from a doctor or hospital.

The R building is well equipped with machines including an ice bath, an ice machine, back and leg rollers, as well as back pain relievers such as the stim machine to help athletes perform their best. The office also provides snacks, Gatorade chews and water for any athletes who need a bit of extra energy for their practice or game.

“At 2:30-2:45 people with injuries will start coming in and we’ll either tape them or ice them,” said senior athletic trainer Olivia Mani. “We can do tape thumbs, wrists and ankles, whatever they need.”

You can find Kingsbury and Anderson in R109 and at all sporting events on-site athletic trainers allow the football players to be less worried about injury and more focused on their game.

“We usually have about 4 of us at each game and we’ll usually split to offense and defense,” Mani said. “We get our fanny packs on and watch to make sure no one goes down and gets hurt.”

Mani became a trainer by completing a semester of training. She has been a trainer since freshmen year and feels like it has drawn her closer to the Eagle community.

“I feel like you make friendships when people are upset and angry.  It sounds bad, but it’s kind of like an intro to the person and I feel like I’ve made so many friends from that,” Mani said. “I’ve met a lot of people through it and helped them when they’re hurt and angry.”

Although trainers may not be the star of every game or athletic event, the student trainers often give a helping hand that allows each athlete to perform to the best of their ability. Whether it is through wrapping up an injured ankle, an ice bath the night before, or for emotional support, SMCHS is lucky to have such a strong support system for every sport.