The student news site of Santa Margarita Catholic High School in Rancho Santa Margarita, California.

The Eagle Eye

Augmentation in the Aquatics Facility

Aj McGregor, Staff Writer

After a CIF Championship, Boys Water Polo gears up for this season with a new addition to the program. As a result of the team’s hard work last season and generous donations, on August 10th, the new locker room for the team was officially opened. This new inclusion to the aquatics facility proves to be a major asset in taking the program to the next level.

“The locker room was built to provide our aquatics facility with a place for the home team to meet, watch film, to hang out before games, and to change clothes and store gear during practice and games,” said Head Coach Jeremy Laster.

The locker room has many new features including a film room and sound system. In addition to the benefits that come outside of the pool, the locker room provides multiple advantages to the team during play.

“It gives us a nice amount of shade between and before all of our games,” said senior Team Captain Chasen Petersen. “And it gives us an area where the Varsity team can just talk in an actual quiet area.”

Senior Team Captain Noah Hodge feels the locker room will help their season and help continue to develop a winning atmosphere and connect the team more efficiently.

“Our team chemistry is already strong and I think this locker room is going to build [our connection] even more,” Hodge said. “The more we can know each other and get closer to each other, the more it is going to show in the pool.”

Earning this locker room did not come easy. It was a long and rigorous process that the team had been waiting for a long time.

“Over the past four years, we have been building up our program, we have been gradually rebuilding our team and last year was the pinnacle of it, winning CIF,” Hodge said. “In return, we got a pretty sick locker room.”

Thanks to the generous donations from the Hayden Family, Varsity Boys Water Polo is thankful for their new locker room.

“I’d like to give a big thanks to the Hayden Family for their generous donation, it’s something that is definitely going to improve our season,” Hodge said. “For the years to come, it’s going to be something the younger kids are going to look forward to earning.”