The student news site of Santa Margarita Catholic High School in Rancho Santa Margarita, California.

The Eagle Eye

The Eagle Eye

The Eagle Eye

Eternal Sunshine Soars on the Charts

Ariana Grande’s seventh studio album, Eternal Sunshine, was released just last week on March 8th, 2024. After the release of Positions in 2020, fans have been keenly waiting for the next album drop of the famous popstar.  

Eternal Sunshine consists of 13 songs, including Yes, And? released in January which immediately soared to the Billboard Top 100 songs list.  

Grande’s album takes inspiration from the 2004 movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which follows the story of Joel Barish, who has just found out his ex-girlfriend, Clementine, has undergone a procedure to erase him from her mind. He decides to undergo the same procedure but realizes he does not want to forget her when it’s too late. Ultimately, the two reconcile and find out about their past relationship and their memories but decide to try again.  

The music video of the song We Can’t be Friends is based off the movie, where Grande plays the character who is getting her memories erased and is taken back to those memories with her ex, who is played by actor Evan Peters, acclaimed for his roles in American Horror Story and Dahmer.  

Many fans speculate that Eternal Sunshine may be about Grande’s ex-husband Dalton Gomez, but Grande has refuted these claims. 

Nevertheless, Grande’s fans have eaten up Eternal Sunshine, propelling the songs on her album to claim eight out of 10 songs on Spotify’s top 10 songs chart. Overall, Eternal Sunshine has been a major success so far for Grande, as we all welcome Grande back into the music world.