One beach at a time

The Surfrider club hosts monthly beach clean ups to encourage others to take care of the environment.

Surfrider Foundation

The+Surfrider+club+raises+awareness+of+ocean+pollution+through+their+beach+cleanups.+The+members+picked+up+ten+trash+bags+of+litter+at+the+most+recent+clean+up.+

Giulia Henshaw

The Surfrider club raises awareness of ocean pollution through their beach cleanups. The members picked up ten trash bags of litter at the most recent clean up.

A day at the beach usually consists of warm weather, waves crashing, and the smell of salt air. Most people fail to notice the abundance of trash buried in the sand or washed up on the shore. This is where the Surfrider Club steps in.

“The club aims to spread awareness of ocean pollution and advocate for cleaner living by hosting and participating in activist projects throughout the year,” said the club’s president, Mckenna Thomas.

The club works as part of the Surfrider Foundation to bring clean living and ocean conservation to campus. Over the years, Thomas has seen the club grow in members as well as their passion for the ocean.

“Since becoming a member my sophomore year, I have seen the club get more active members,” Thomas said. “I believe that this year has more members who are looking to participate in the club activities rather than just signing up to sign up.”

To encourage students to raise awareness of ocean pollution, the club hosts monthly beach clean ups. The next beach clean up will take place on Dec. 13 at Doheny Beach.

The monthly beach clean ups combine Thomas’s love for the ocean with her desire to better her community. She hopes to pass on this passion as this year’s club president.

“I like being able to spend a day on the beach, while helping to give back to he community,” Thomas said. “My favorite part is seeing how eager students are to go to the cleanups, and how they attentively participate in them.”

Even though club rush has passed, people who would like to participate can reach out to [email protected] for more information.