Remembering the musical soul

In memory of Nick Kraus—a musician, a teacher and a friend.

Carla Senecal

The rain stopped and the sky cleared after Kraus’ memorial service on Sept. 17.

“There are those people who you just know have made an impact,” said Francisco Calvo, performing arts department chair. “He was a man of the highest caliber. That day was probably one of the worst days of my life.”

A month ago, on the morning of Sept. 9, a musician, a teacher and a friend passed away from the injuries received in a car accident. Nick Kraus was the teacher for steel drums, handbells and marching band. Although his passing has affected the whole SMCHS community, not all of us had the privilege of knowing him personally.

“He was easygoing, extremely caring and completely selfless,” Calvo said. “He always wanted to help other people before he helped himself. But he was also unbelievingly funny. Seriously. Unbelievingly funny.”

Calvo met Kraus in 2010 when Kraus was first hired part time. Since then, the two had been working alongside each other six hours a day — and sometimes even until 10 o’clock at night.

“Lunchtime every day was super fun,” Calvo said. “My favorite moments with him were his impressions of students and teachers. He would do spot-on, dead-on impressions and they were just hysterical.”

Kraus was also famous for his mood-changing one-liners. His ability to lighten up a stressful situation was deeply appreciated by the performing arts community.

“If I were ranting and just really upset about something, I’d be freaking out about too many students being absent from a performance, I’ve lost half my choir, the group doesn’t sound as good as they should, he would say something so simple but profound or funny and completely disarm the situation,” Calvo said.

Junior Caitlin Carrillo did not have Kraus as a teacher, but he sometimes played the piano at her choir practices. Despite not having known him personally, Carrillo was fortunate enough to have witnessed moments when his one-liners make an impact.

“I remember there was this one time when my friend and I came in late for choir rehearsal because we went to Starbucks,” Carrillo said. “Mr. Calvo got really angry and he was saying like you guys aren’t so special that you can be late all the time. So we sat down, and Mr. Kraus who was sitting at the piano in front of us turned around and said, ‘Don’t worry, I think you guys are special.’”

A month after his passing, Nick Kraus lives on in the heart of the SMCHS community.

Kraus’ humorous and ever-positive personality played a big role in his relationships with his students. Junior Abigail Jackson was his student in both steel drums and marching band.

“He was one of the funniest people I have ever met,” Jackson said. “He had a very subtle sense of humor that made everyone feel comfortable around him. His welcoming smile and kind heart helped all of his students to feel at ease, which helped us all to perform better.”

Jackson recalls the HeART and Song performance at the renowned Renee and Henry Segerstrom Concert Hall in April this year as one of her favorite memories with Kraus.

“We were all extremely nervous about performing on such a notable stage,” Jackson said. “When we walked on stage with Mr. Kraus, he was able to just look at us and calm us down. He could make the entire audience disappear and make it feel like we were our own audience, performing with all of our heart and soul simply for our own enjoyment.”

Senior Myles Angel was also a student in steel drums and marching band, and he was taught by Kraus for all four of his high school years. Angel recalls a memory with Kraus when the steel drums class performed at alumni Michael Anderson’s memorial service back in March.

“It was kind of sad for all of us to be there, but Mr. Kraus told us that it was a celebration of life and it was meant to be a joyous occasion,” Angel said. “I guess it really struck me.”

Kraus’ students often call him by “Papa Kraus”, showing their closeness with him. Students often went to him with their problems, either to get them fixed or just to get a mood boost.

“He made everybody feel comfortable,” Calvo said. “He made everything better. He didn’t talk a lot, but he was a fantastic listener, amazing listener, which is why I think everybody liked him so much — because he would just listen to you.”

But it was not just Kraus’ personality that impacted people. His talent as a musician earned him international praise and also the honor of performing with numerous notable jazz musicians such as Eliane Elias, Kurt Elling, Tim Hagan, Dianne Reeves, Bobby McFerrin and Janet Planet.

“I would say that he was incredibly gifted, talented, intelligent, highly qualified but uniquely humble about it,” Calvo said. “You know, you’re talking about a guy who’s played with Stevie Wonder. He’s one of those great musicians who didn’t brag about it. He could have, but he didn’t.”

Kraus’ down-to-earth spirit made it impossible for students to be intimidated by him despite his accomplishments.

“Whenever we asked him a question about music, his face would light up and he would start talking about these musical nuances or cultural interpretations of music,” Jackson said. “He spoke with such a passion that the people around him couldn’t help but be engrossed and fascinated by what he had to say.”

Kraus spread his passion for music to everyone around him, especially his students. He motivated his students to use their passion as fuel for success.

“He always wanted what was best for each of the students,” Angel said. “Me, coming in to high school, I had really been interested in music and I thought that I knew a lot. I didn’t think I could learn that much more, but he really pushed me beyond my limits.”

The SMCHS community gathered for a Memorial Mass a week after Kraus’ passing, on Sept. 16, to honor his life. His funeral was held in his home state of Wisconsin.

“Anyone who knew him, for either five minutes or for a lifetime, is a better person because of it,” Jackson said.

Although he is no longer with us, Kraus lives on in the hearts and music of those who he has influenced.

“I would’ve loved to say thank you,” Angel said. “I had never been able to officially say it to him.”

When Calvo was asked what is one thing he would like to say if Kraus were still here, he let out a laugh: “That’s a tough question. Sorry.”

Then he grabbed a tissue from his desk, leaned back in his chair and stayed silent for a while.

“Let’s go get some coffee. And talk. That’s what I’d say.”