The student news site of Santa Margarita Catholic High School in Rancho Santa Margarita, California.

The Eagle Eye

The Eagle Eye

The Eagle Eye

Michael Oher, from ‘Blind Side’, sues parents for conservatorship

Retired NFL player Michael Oher, depicted in the feel-good movie ‘The Blind Side’, files lawsuit against the Tuohys and demands money back for lost royalties

The Oscar-nominated movie, The Blind Side displays NFL-bound Michael Oher. Supposedly adopted at the age of 18 by a wealthy loving family, he goes to University of Mississippi. On August 14th, Oher sued the Tuohys, claiming he wants money back for “compensatory and punitive damages.”

Oher discovered in February that his adoption into the Tuohy family is fake. Instead, he signed onto a conservatorship which impedes Oher from entering contracts without direct approval of the conservators and allows the Tuohys to create business deals in Oher’s name.

“They explained to me that…[conservatorship]…means pretty much the exact same thing as ‘adoptive parents,’ but that the laws took my age into account,” Oher wrote in his book, I Beat the Odds. “Honestly, I didn’t care about it. I was just happy that no one could argue that we weren’t legally what we already knew was real: We were a family.”

Michael Oher (middle) posing with Collins Tuohy and others (Wikimedia Commons)

Allegedly, Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy tricked Michael Oher into this agreement. According to Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health, mentally or physically ill people reserve conservatorships.

Oher’s agreement had no record of a disability in any way. While the Tuohys claim they chose a conservatorship because of his age, McFarland Law Firm confirms that adoption of adults is legal in Tennessee.

Oher claims he made no profit off of the movie when the Tuohys received $1.125 million dollars from it. He does not understand how this occurred because the movie could not have been made without Oher. He requests an account of the financial aspects of the conservatorship, which the Tuohys must present by September 14th.

The Tuohys openly dismiss Oher’s claims, calling them a “shakedown effort” to scam them of their money. They announced in a press conference that they will seek to terminate the conservatorship.