Party in pink

The Eagles’ Nest turned pink in support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month to cheer on the football team.

Pink shirt, check. Pink tights, check, Pink socks, check. Pink face paint, check. Pink hair spray, check. Oh, and don’t forget the pink baby powder and confetti, check.

Pink and perfect. That’s how the Eagles’ looked at the football game on Oct. 24 as they cheered on the football team to a 22-17 victory over Servite.

In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, students were encouraged to wear pink during the school day Friday and during the last home game that night, which was deemed a Pink Out.

“Everyone has been affected by breast cancer in some way, whether they actually had to fight it, or know someone who has,” said junior Shayna Aigner. “I think it is important to have the month of October dedicated to raising awareness because every donation, even if it is just a dime here and there, add up and help fund research for a cure.”

As early as 5:30 p.m., students arrived at Saddleback College and started to fill the bleachers. Fans were greeted by students passing out pink rally towels as part of the pink celebration.

“It was crazy to see all the spirit,” said junior Kathryn Luher. “With it being senior night and the last home game, everyone wanted to go out with a bang.”

The night began with a special goodbye tribute to incredibly talented seniors on the football team and pep squad.

Pep squad seniors gathered with their family on the field first. Each girl was announced individually and received flowers and a lei.

Then, the senior moms gathered in a line and each senior football player walked out with his dad, or other male relative, as his name was announced. The players met their moms on the 50 yard line and each family was photographed.

Following the Senior Night ceremony, Principal Ray Dunne started the game with a prayer recognizing the two teams as well as the fighters and survivors of breast cancer. Senior Daniel Aigner then performed the National Anthem and the game got started.

“It was so much fun seeing the student section get all rallied up for the game,” Shayna said. “Plus, my brother rocked the anthem. God bless America.”

Baby powder and confetti filled the air as the Eagles’ Nest celebrated a one yard touchdown run by junior Dre Hall in the first quarter. Quickly the Eagles led 6-0.

“Throwing the baby powder and the confetti was the best part,” Luher said. “That was such a good idea. It was really neat looking up and seeing a huge cloud above.”

SMCHS led the whole evening, but Servite did score late in the fourth quarter to try and make a comeback.

A key play came with 2:19 left in the game, on their own 33 yard line, fourth-and-three, the Eagles lined up as if to try for the first down. Servite went offsides and the penalty resulted in a first down. The Eagles ran out the clock to a victory.

It was Senior Night after all, and the seniors played a perfect game. There were zero turnovers the whole evening. Seniors Grady Higgins, Austin Maihen and Rick Wade led the way, and the Eagles’ Nest recognized that.

Everyone could hear the fans cheering, “GRA-DY HIG-GINS!”, “AUS-TIN MAI-HEN!”, and “RICK WADE” at very key moments in the game.

Early in the second quarter, the Eagles’ Nest erupted again in loud cheers as junior quarterback KJ Costello threw a 23 yard touchdown pass to senior Connor Bianchini. Later that quarter, the baby powder flew into the air again as senior Kyle Sweet made a 21 yard field goal attempt and the Eagles led 15-0.

The Eagles’ Nest was led by a group of seniors at one of the best games and put last year’s number one student section, the Servite Asylum, to shame. Did they even show up?

“Riki-Tiki-Tumba, the confetti…everything was perfect,” Luher said. “It was sad to say goodbye to the seniors and to know that this was their last home football game. It just showed us what we have to try and outdo next year.”

The night ended as usual with the alma mater, and two final chants: “I BELIEVE THAT WE JUST WON” and a special one just for this night, “THANK YOU SENIORS”.