The student news site of Santa Margarita Catholic High School in Rancho Santa Margarita, California.

The Eagle Eye

The Eagle Eye

The Eagle Eye

“Dune” Review

New hype surrounding “Dune” with the release of part 2

On March 1, the sequel to Dune 2 came to theaters. After the long-awaited release, a buzz has surrounded social media platforms about this sequel with critics and viewers alike loving this film. Because of this hype, I recently watched the first Dune. Here’s a short review and my thoughts on it:

Dune (2021) is a visually stunning adaptation of the first half of Frank Herbert’s epic science fiction novel. The movie is directed by Denis Villeneuve and stars Timothée Chalamet as the young noble Paul Atreides, who is thrust into a dangerous power struggle on the desert planet Arrakis.

The visuals in Dune are breathtaking. The incredible production design and special effects transport the viewer to the harsh, otherworldly landscape of Arrakis, where sandstorms, giant sandworms, and mysterious spice fill the entirety of the screen. From the costumes and sets to the sound design and score, every aspect of the movie is of the highest quality.

Dune: Part Two' Is a Cliff-Hanger—But It May Be Years Before Part Three Arrives | Vanity Fair
    Timothée Chalamet as Paul Atreides

Chalamet is a perfect fit for Paul Atreides. He brings a depth and vulnerability to the character, making Paul a relatable and sympathetic protagonist. The rest of the cast, including Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Zendaya, and Stellan Skarsgård, turn in excellent performances, making the world of Dune feel alive and engaging.

The movie’s slow pace and attention to detail was a hit or miss. People who already read the book could enjoy this, while regular viewers (like me) were left very confused and sometimes bored. But the craftsmanship it took to build the world of Arrakis and the complex political machinations that surround it cannot go unseen. Although the sheer amount of information and character introductions makes the first half of the story feel at times incomplete, the movie leaves the viewer eagerly anticipating the second installment.

When the credits rolled at the end of Dune, I was left wanting more. My genuine reaction was, “Wait, it’s over already?” While fans didn’t enjoy Dune as much with the cliffhanger, the acting and scenery pulled me in and I thoroughly enjoyed it. With the high ratings of 93% rotten tomatoes and a 95% audience score for Dune 2, I couldn’t be more excited to see the sequel in theaters.