The student news site of Santa Margarita Catholic High School in Rancho Santa Margarita, California.

The Eagle Eye

The Eagle Eye

The Eagle Eye

Daylight Savings or Daylight Spending?

The one hour lost can prove to be beneficial for one’s mood in months to come

Daylight Savings Time, an annual adjustment that commands attention, often receives mixed sentiments due to its rude impact on sleep routines. However, beyond the inconvenience of losing an hour of sleep, this temporal shuffle holds deeper significance, particularly in its influence on mood and the imminent transition to summer. 

Consider the biannual time shift as a subtle herald of the impending summer season full of salty air, watermelon slices, the occasional bug bite, and lots of laughter. As clocks advance, longer evenings emerge, offering extended daylight to experience the joys of the warm season. This transition isn’t merely about changing the clock; it symbolizes a shift towards increased outdoor engagement and the vibrancy associated with summer. 

Furthermore, the psychological impact of Daylight Saving Time extends beyond its practical aspects. The additional daylight catalyzes elevated serotonin levels, the neurotransmitter linked to mood regulation. In simpler terms, the longer days contribute to a more positive and uplifting atmosphere, countering the potential gloominess associated with darker winter months. Goodbye to seasonal depression and hello to a brighter mindset. 

In essence, Daylight Savings Time, despite its occasional inconvenience, is a subtle but significant contributor to a positive outlook and the impending summer zeitgeist. The sacrifice of an hour’s sleep serves as a temporal gateway to a season filled with loner, sunlit days and the promise of outdoor enjoyment.