The student news site of Santa Margarita Catholic High School in Rancho Santa Margarita, California.

The Eagle Eye

The Eagle Eye

The Eagle Eye

The Oscars

Hollywood celebrated the 96th academy awards with nominations, stunning dresses, and red buttons?

The Oscars were held this past weekend at the Dolby Theatre with many big wins from “Oppenheimer” to “Barbie”.The show was hosted by comedian, Jimmy Kimmel for the fourth time. Oppenheimer won the biggest awards of the night and was the most nominated film.

It racked up 13 nominations. Christopher Nolan won the best director Oscar, and Cillian Murphy won the best actor award for this film. Barbie was also nominated for the best picture and actor Ryan Gosling surprised the audience with a performance of “I’m just Ken”, a song from the Barbie movie. Emma Stone won best Actress for her performance in “Poor Things”.

“What was I made for?” from Barbie also won the best original song. Other major wins included The Zone of Interest, American Fiction, Anatomy of a Fall and The Holdovers.

In terms of the red carpet, Michelle Yeoh was said to have had one of the best outfits. She was wearing a custom Balenciaga gown, black opera gloves, and diamond and sapphire earrings. Emma Stone wore a custom, white, Louis Vuitton gown. It had shell detailing and a peplum waste line that flowed down into a floor length gown. Another eye -catching look was from Anya Taylor Joy. She stunned a Christian Dior Haute Couture gown with draping bedazzled petals. This look was inspired by Botticelli’s “Birth of Venus”.  She also wore silver Tiffany&Co jewelry.

Most importantly is the stand many actors were trying to make. Audiences might have noticed that many of the actors wore red buttons. Billie Eilish, Ramy Youssef and Mark Ruffalo all wore the red button in support of Artists4Ceasefire. This is a group of advocates and artists opposing the Israel-Hamas war.