The student news site of Santa Margarita Catholic High School in Rancho Santa Margarita, California.

The Eagle Eye

The Eagle Eye

The Eagle Eye

Are you sleeping the right way?

As teenagers, we’re always told contradicting things about sleep. Don’t sleep for too many hours, but don’t sleep for too little. Taking naps are good, but other sources say they’re bad. Sleep in a cold room, but don’t sleep with the fan on. How are we supposed to sleep well when we don’t really know what’s true? Here are four sets of facts and myths about sleep and how to stay energized throughout the day.

MYTH: Your body just gets used to lack of sleep.

FACT: Lack of sleep for an extended period of time has detrimental effects.

After lack of sleep for a few nights, you are more prone to feeling sleepier throughout the day. The daytime sleepiness might decrease after weeks or months of little sleep, but that doesn’t mean your body is in top-notch shape or efficiently responding to sleep deprivation. Instead, chronic sleep deprivation has a negative impact on daytime performance, impairing decision-making, memory, focus, and creativity. Inadequate sleep can negatively impact various parts of health over time. Even if you think you’re growing used to not sleeping enough, your body’s inability to relax might lead to more significant issues.

MYTH: You just need a certain amount of sleep to be well-rested.

FACT: The quality of your sleep matters more than the amount.

Sleep time is crucial, but it is not the only factor to consider. Sleep quality is more important because it is directly related to sleep continuity and the absence of sleep interruptions. Fragmented sleep characterized by frequent awakenings might impair the capacity to progress through the sleep cycle, reducing time spent in the most restorative stages of sleep. As a result, everyone’s goal should be to get enough sleep, with those hours being of excellent quality and uninterrupted.

MYTH: Napping makes up for lack of sleep the night before.

FACT: Naps can’t substitute for bad sleep.

While a little nap can provide an energy boost during the day, it is not a substitute for a good night’s sleep. This is because naps do not advance through the sleep stages in the same manner that a good night’s sleep does. Many people who don’t get enough sleep try to make up by taking naps, but napping can further disrupt a person’s sleep cycle. Naps might make it difficult to fall asleep at a normal time, and long naps can make you feel disoriented and sluggish. Though napping is not necessarily hazardous, relying on naps to cope with chronic sleep loss is ineffective. When you need a nap, it’s ideal to keep it under 30 minutes and before 6pm.

MYTH: Going on your phone before bedtime is harmless.

FACT: Using your phone before bed will impact your sleep.

Screen time before bed will impact your sleep because of the blue light the phone emits. This light can disrupt your sleep cycle and will act like an artificial sun to the brain. Your brain will think it’s still daytime from this light and make it harder to go to sleep. Teenagers are even more susceptible to this because the screen can stimulate their brain and make it harder to get good deep sleep. Using your phone in the dark before bed could also lead to eye strain. It’s recommended to get off of electronice one hour before bedtime, but pushing it out farther to even two hours is even better.

Studies show that better sleep can lead to more productivity and focus during the school day and for performing on tests. While school and the pile up of homework can get stressful, make sure to prioritize your sleep. For more information, visit https://www.sleepfoundation.org/ to make the most of your sleep.