The student news site of Santa Margarita Catholic High School in Rancho Santa Margarita, California.

The Eagle Eye

The Eagle Eye

The Eagle Eye

The Power of Volunteering

How high schoolers can make a difference
    A group of kids volunteer by planting together (All Creative Commons)

Not only does volunteering help give back to the community, but it also offers numerous personal benefits and looks impressive on college applications. However, volunteering is more than just meeting criteria; it’s about engaging in the pursuit of your interest. There is a volunteer opportunity that fits a multitude of interests, whether it pertains to animal lovers, environmentalists, or those who want to aid the less fortunate. Volunteers can acquire real-world experiences that do not often come in a classroom environment. In addition, life lessons like learning the importance of communication, teamwork, problem-solving, and time management can also derive from volunteer work.

Volunteering in high school makes a student stand out when applying to colleges. Admissions officers value candidates who are dedicated to their communities and are more inclined to approve applicants who have a track record of volunteering. But again, volunteer work is not only about meeting the criteria. It can promote personal development, empathy, self-worth, and a sense of gratitude for what one already has.

The work can be incredibly fun and fulfilling. Giving is important, but obtaining a sense of fulfillment and delight from helping others is just as important. Look for nearby nonprofits, schools, or community centers in need of volunteers, or take part in community service initiatives run by clubs at school.

Make a difference, develop yourself, and improve your chances of getting into college by volunteering. You and your community can benefit equally.