The student news site of Santa Margarita Catholic High School in Rancho Santa Margarita, California.

The Eagle Eye

The Eagle Eye

The Eagle Eye

Canola Oil: What it is and how to avoid it

Is Canola Oil the reason why our foods contain so many preservatives?

Last year, Americans consumed over 2.9 million metric tons of Canola oil, and most probably didn’t even know it. Canola oil has a high ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fats that lead to diseases including Alzheimer’s, obesity, and heart disease. However, it is almost impossible to avoid consuming Canola oil, as pretty much every food item in grocery stores contain it. Most breads have additives and preservations including genetically modified oils like Canola oil. This is to ensure that bread stays on supermarket shelves for as long as possible. Tortilla, potato chips, frozen foods, salad dressings, cooking sprays, coffee creamers, and crackers all contain mass amounts of canola oil. In order to try to switch out of using canola oil, shoppers can try to check packages of all foods, even ones that look healthy. Lots of brands are marketed to look healthy with images that distract the customer from the actual ingredients. Another option is to cook more at home, using ingredients that are clean and healthy. Substituting olive oil for Canola oil is also a lot healthier.