C.H.A.N.G.E.ing the game

The new C.H.A.N.G.E Club promotes diversity and inclusion on campus.

This past year, Santa Margarita created the DIVE Team to encourage diversity and inclusion on campus. Sophomore Mia Thomas, founder of the club, had two goals in mind in creating the club. She wished to inspire students to be inclusive and welcoming to everyone.

“I have always had an interest in equal rights,” Thomas said, “but in high school, this interest grew. I began learning more about the injustices against minorities in our country.”

After the racist incident at SM last year, Thomas felt compelled to create the club as a form of teaching. She wanted to educate herself and others on racial, gender, etc. issues, as well as hold discussions about identities.

Promoting diversity at a high school level can prepare students for life outside high school. It is essential in understanding and embracing differences in culture and identity. It is likely they will encounter more diversity in travels and the workforce.

Thomas encourages club members to form connections with others to explore differences and global issues. To Thomas, education and conversation are important.

“Some activities the club hopes to do include watching movies and videos. We hold discussions around the central topics in them,” Thomas said. “We are also looking into bringing in guest speakers and potentially doing service projects that help minorities. Since the club just started this year, we are still trying to figure out what kind of things we want to do.”

Starting conversations can help students develop empathy and gain a better understanding of diversity at SM.

“I’m looking forward to having conversations about identity and equality with people. It isn’t typically something you really talk about with your friends (at least in my experience),” Thomas said. “I’m interested in hearing about the different perspectives people might have, as well as any shared thoughts/opinions I might have with them.”

If interested in joining the club, contact Mia Thomas at [email protected]. The first meeting will be Friday, November 13 at 1:30 pm.