Star on the rise 

Senior Lauren McNair makes a difference both on and off the stage.

Lauren+McNair+does+not+break+character+during+her+performance+in+Museum.+

courtesy photo

Lauren McNair does not break character during her performance in Museum.

Senior Lauren McNair readies Talon Theatre for one of its best years yet. McNair has dreamed of being President of the Thespian Board since freshman year; now that members of Talon Theatre have elected her, she hopes to bring her goals for Talon Theatre to life.

“Ever since my freshman year I have always looked up to the President of the Thespian Board because they truly encompass everything that Talon Theatre stands for,” McNair said. “Knowing that there is a possibility that I could have the same effect on a new theatre member is something that I take extremely serious.”

One change McNair is trying to implement this year is to better advertise the theatre program throughout SMCHS. As the theatre program continues to grow, so does the ratio between the student body and play attendance. It’s crucial that tickets are successfully advertised in advance to keep the attendance high.

McNair is also trying to put into effect what she calls a big buddy-little buddy system in hopes to make everyone in Talon Theatre feel like they really belong. Talon Theatre is a family and McNair believes she can establish this idea throughout the year through her new system.

“It can become really stressful for people interested in Talon Theatre to get involved in the program, especially at the beginning of the year,” McNair said.  “In order to help with this process, I implemented a system in order to pair a new member of Talon Theatre with someone that has been involved for a long time so that they have someone to turn to if they have any questions.”

Through this system, McNair establishes the importance of being a friend to all. Senior Faith Quigley, another Talon Theatre member, admires McNair for her energy and loyalty as a friend. According to Quigley, McNair is very humble and always puts everyone else first — which makes McNair the great leader that she is.

“She has an amazing work ethic and an ability to handle pressure with grace,” Quigley said. “She also makes it her priority to reach out to new members and make them feel welcome. It’s crazy because it’s only September and you can tell her legacy is going to be a great one.”

A role model and a friend, McNair reminds her friends and peers of the importance of smiles, laughter and the value of friendship.

“[McNair] has taught me how to be selfless and kind to everyone,” said senior Emma Polonsky. “She’s taught me to believe in myself and have more confidence in my abilities.”

McNair not only shines on the stage as someone to commemorate here at SMCHS, but she also stands out on the screen. This past summer, McNair and senior Dylan Field spent three weeks in Atlanta, GA filming as extras for Spider-Man: Homecoming, which comes out July of 2017. McNair’s time spent on set opened her eyes to the fact that she wants to pursue theatre and film in the future. She also had the opportunity to observe how people in the industry work together.

“All of the actors in the movie treated everyone with so much respect,” McNair said. “This made me realize to never take anybody’s job for granted. Every job is extremely important, no matter how small it might be, and because of this I want to continually show my appreciation to everyone that I work with and make sure they know how appreciated they are.”

McNair’s focus on appreciation and respect influences Field’s life and others’ as well. According to Field and many of McNair’s friends,  McNair is the kind of friend, and student, to be there for someone when needed — always with a smile on her face. Field believes McNair’s notable characteristics and influences are what make her the pinnacle of Talon Theatre.

“Lauren always inspires me to be a better person,” Field said. “She always brings out the best in people and others just seem to naturally gravitate towards her. I always try to keep in mind how she would handle a situation.”

The way in which McNair associates herself with her peers does not go unnoticed by her supervisors. Director of Theatre Arts Amy Barth has taught and observed McNair since her freshmen year.

“Lauren is a motivator who leads by example,” Barth said. “She is well respected by her peers and teachers because she is conscientious, always following through on her commitments.”

McNair’s current effects in Talon Theatre and on her peers, friends and teachers reinforce Barth’s assessment that she is a bright, talented and intelligent young woman. The positive reputation McNair has made of herself will carry her to success.

“I don’t know what God has in store for her, but I know that she is well equipped, centered and confident,” Barth said. “She has great character and integrity. These are all qualities that will serve her well wherever her life journey takes her.”