Great day to be a beagle

Beagle Freedom Project club helps abandoned dogs find their way home.

Everybody knows the infamous ASPCA commercial: trembling chihuahuas and droopy-eyed poodles — not to mention Sarah McLachlan’s sentimental “In the Arms of an Angel”. Sure, it’s sad. But would you do anything to save the helpless dogs?

Caroline Cai, sophomore club president, can't get enough puppy love at a Greendog Foundation event on March 8.
courtesy photo
Caroline Cai, sophomore club president, can’t get enough puppy love at a Greendog Foundation event on March 8.

Last year, sophomore Caroline Cai decided to take a stand by bringing the Beagle Freedom Project club to SMCHS. This nationwide organization finds homes and fights for the freedom of all abused dogs being used for experimentation in laboratories, 95 percent of them beagles — proven to be one of the friendliest, most loyal and trusting breed of dogs.

“I learned about how many dogs were being euthanized as a result of being abandoned by their owners, and how many dogs were being stripped of a happy life because they spend it being abused in laboratories for product and drug testing,” Cai said.

Since its establishment on the SMCHS campus, Cai’s Beagle Freedom Project club keeps two goals in mind at all times. First, to advocate for abused or abandoned dogs either as a result of inadequate owners or laboratory testing and second, to find homes for them through working with and fundraising for local rescue groups. Once the two goals are completed, all the club members celebrate knowing their hard work and dedication paid off.

“It’s always a special moment when you find someone who really connects with a certain dog,” Cai said. “It’s a really comforting feeling knowing that the dog you cared for for so long is in loving hands now.”

From helping out at adoption events to holding fundraisers, the Beagle Freedom Project club strives to give all dogs happier lives. As the club president, Cai’s motivation comes from the love and passion she has for the people she works with who share the same drive.

“I love connecting with people who share my common love for these animals,” she said. “We celebrate together when we find a home for a dog and we grieve together if something unfortunate happens to a dog.”

As for the animals the club works with, Cai feels a similar deep connection. After watching over a dog for weeks and seeing it transform into a happy, healthy animal, an inevitable sense of delight overcomes those who made it all possible.

Caroline Cai, sophomore club president, holds a puppy in search of a new home during a Greendog Foundation event on March 22.
courtesy photo

“Spending time with them and caring for them at adoption events can form a really strong bond,” Cai said. “It is really hard to not form an emotional attachment with the dogs so when they finally get adopted, it can be bittersweet. But it’s mostly happy!”

Out of the club’s numerous accomplishments, Cai values joining the Ian Somerhalder Foundation the most. With Cai’s contributions, the foundation was able to get several newborn puppies vetted, vaccinated and spayed or neutered before they went up for adoption. Apart from her club duties, Cai is also a marketer and grant writer for a local rescue group closely-tied with the club called Greendog Foundation.

“We are currently working with Shoes for Shelters by doing a drive that collects shoes for third world micro-enterprises,” she said. “Depending on how many we collect, Greendog Foundation can receive up to a $1300 grant.”

Cai hopes that her club continues to prosper and thrive each year with the help of new members and opportunities.

“I want to raise more money for local rescue groups so they can take care of the dogs without having to worry about not being able to pay for their medical needs or for the resources to make the dogs as comfortable as possible,” she said. “I also want to reach out to more people in search of a pet and encourage them to adopt.”

The success of the Beagle Freedom Project club not only depends on Cai’s determination, but also on the club members’ enthusiasm and involvement. Sophomore Vice President of the club, Devin Walsh, finds joy in the passion each member devotes during every event. With the number of participants inching closer to one hundred, the growth of the club motivates Cai and Walsh to continue promoting it throughout the SMCHS community.

Devin Walsh, sophomore club vice president, embraces her dogs Biscuit and Bandit, who inspire her to reach out to less-fortunate dogs so that they may also belong to loving a family.
Cristina Zapata

“I think everyone has a soft spot for dogs,” Walsh said. “Hanging out with the shelter dogs and sending them off to good homes is so much fun. I would just love to get more people involved and as excited about this as we are.”

This is just the beginning for the Beagle Freedom Project Club thanks to the eagerness and commitment that inspire all members through each dog that they save.

“I enjoy every minute of what I do with the club,” Cai said. “I also have gotten to know people who share a common love for dogs, and it has motivated me to work harder for the dogs through collaborating with them. This club has made me a happier person, someone more involved in my community, and someone who finally got to pursue their passion.”

Any help is accepted with gratitude. To find out more, contact Caroline Cai at [email protected] or keep an eye out on the announcements for the next meeting!