Variety of varsities

The words of a student who works to have it all.

In Hollywood, “triple threats” are people who can act, sing and dance all with fairly good ability. In high school, triple threats are students who can successfully balance a sport, majority of honors. And within this rare category, is senior Ryan Melosini, the Hugh Jackman of SMCHS Triple Threats.

Senior Ryan Melosini looks like champion and works like one too.
Sara Boivin

Coming in at five feet, 10 inches and 180 pounds, Melosini has been in honors classes and water polo since freshman year.

When he’s in season, he has practice at 6 a.m. then goes to class like everyone else. Sometimes after school he has water polo practice until 5:30 p.m. Mondays, Ryan goes to voice lessons after school so he doesn’t get home until 8 p.m.

To most students, this sort of routine sounds crazy or down-right impossible.

“It’s just about managing your time and building up endurance to do it,” Melosini said. “I’ve been building upon it all four years so it really stays. I started out doing water polo and all honors. Then I started adding stuff I did MUN for a while. It’s like a marathon you have to keep training for.”

Melosini is well known for his solo piece in the Christmas musical, “Oh Holy Night.”

“It’s just one of my hobbies, and I’m not looking for a career in it, but in college sometimes I want to keep doing so I might get a teacher for it or something,” he said. “I’m definitely going to do Hello Dolly this year which is the spring musical and I’ve definitely been focused on more singing opera, classical voice. There’s not really any productions that can help you with that but I’ve been doing competitions and lots of working on my voice.”

Melosini describes his life as stability. Keeping his academic, fitness and free time scheduled out has allowed him to be productive to his fullest.

“I try to balance everything,” he said. “It teaches you a lot of life and social skills. Learning from your experiences and hardships is important.”

Being busy is easier when you do something you love to counter it. It’s all about keeping your schedule and options suited to what you love and what you want.

“Don’t be afraid to defy what people think of you,” Melosini said. “Do stuff that’s different. Don’t be afraid to be involved and defy conventions.”

The reason Melosini chose this tough path in high school is the same reason we all challenge ourselves.

“From the beginning of freshman year I’ve worked hard to give myself a lot of options,” he said. “For me it’s just been working hard, doing everything I can and enjoying everything I do. That’s all I could really do. Some days water polo is six hours, but it’s not the hardest thing I’ve experienced and it’s really fun. It takes just a lot of patience.”

In the future, Melosini has dreams of pursuing international relations. For now, he just plans to finish off his senior year with five stars and start preparing for the next play.

“There have definitely been days where it gets rough but I think what helps me get through is that I’m doing stuff I want to do,” Melosini said. “Not stuff other people want me doing. It’s stuff that I enjoy doings. Personally I really don’t care want other people want me to do or what they think of what I do. The other things that are necessary evils I can get through.”