Where would IB?

IB students work hard and play hard as a family.

Senior full IB students Emilie Marcinkowski, Danny Semeniuta, Will Mortimer, Katie Roschak and Carlee DiNicola smile in the first days of their last semester.
Adam Campbell

Individually, they are athletes, artists, performers and musicians. But while their hobbies and extracurricular activities may differ, they are united by their participation in SMCHS’s International Baccalaureate (IB) program.

Of the 437 in SMCHS’s class, 141 are taking at least one IB course and 58 are full-IB diploma candidates. Of the 394, 139 are taking at least one IB course and 38 are full-IB diploma candidates. The IB class of 2016 is the largest in the school’s history.

While the SMCHS IB program is renowned for its academically rigorous courses, few students — underclassmen in particular — know the qualifications required to earn a full-IB diploma.

Simply stated, the curriculum consists of six different subject groups. Each IB candidate must take at least one class from each group. This requirement can either be fulfilled with a combination of three higher level (HL) classes and two standard level (SL) classes or four HL classes and two SL classes. Additionally, students must complete a theory of knowledge (TOK) class and participate actively within the school and community with creativity, action and service (CAS). Lastly, each candidate must write an extended essay (EE).

IB? SL? HL? CAS? EE? TOK? So many acronyms certainly can be confusing and overwhelming at first. And yes, the course load is difficult, but with class Christmas parties complete with In-and-Out burgers and late night study sessions at Starbucks, the IB students have an undeniable bond that pulls them through even the busiest of days.

“[We] are family because we are going through this hard process together,” said junior Lauren Walker. “You create a bond with the other full-IB students because you all know how it feels to stay up late for a project.”

And it isn’t just late night projects that make this such a close-knit group. It’s the memories made in the classes, community and the inordinate amounts of coffee that they share.

“Having five to seven classes together and seeing each other in the sleep-deprived-too-tired-to-put-on-makeup-and-just-had-three-shots-of-five-hour-energy state, we’ve ended up becoming really close,” said junior Karina Sanchez. “The group of people I study with are all really supportive, sharing notes and doing homework together.”

Out of the work, many lifelong friendships are born. The common bond is not necessarily the hard work. It is more often the opportunity to get to know each other, sail to Catalina Island for class “bonding” and graduate with confidence that you are prepared to be successful in college. Best of all, as independent as they are, IB students know just how nice it is to be able to rely on each other.

Having this huge support group does not necessarily simplify the amount of homework or the difficulty of tests in IB; rather, it eases the stress during their high school years and leaves them with lasting camaraderie.

While taking on IB can be an enormous commitment, every IB student knows they can count on each other not only to cram last minute information before a test, but also to laugh with, go to the beach with and support no matter what.

“It becomes a relief knowing that you are not the only one taking on IB classes, but that you have a whole family of people taking on the same challenge,” Sanchez said. “We are all in this together.”