The ASBabe

Four years in ASB full of fun, friendship and fabulous ideas.

Imagine every activity offered at SMCHS. Then fathom the almost impossible action of becoming involved in nearly every single one. Well, ladies and gentleman, our very own ASB Secretary River Crawford, known as the ASBabe, has done the impossible.

Whether it be letting her brain go wild through full-IB, running her life away with Cross Country, spending her weekends debating pressing world issues at Model United Nations or simply creating the agenda at the weekly ASB meetings, you will catch Crawford with a smile.

Just in - The ASBabe, senior River Crawford caught with that encouraging smile.
Just in – The ASBabe, senior River Crawford caught with that encouraging smile.

She is living proof of that silly saying everyone tells freshman: “Get involved! You will have a better experience.”

Crawford did exactly that and is having a fabulous time in high school.

Without Crawford’s inspiring ideas, creative mind and outgoing disposition, ASB would not be the same. She spends countless hours putting aside time towards specifics that need to be accomplished within ASB. Crawford puts forth full effort into making ASB a major success.

“The most useful advice freshman always receive is to get involved. But because they hear it a thousand times, a lot of kids disregard it,” Crawford said. “For me, really getting involved in ASB has completely altered my high school experience. ASB has not only let me give back to my school in numerous ways over the last four years, but also provided me with an enthusiastic family who I can count on to look equally as embarrassing as myself every spirit week.”

Each spirit week, ASB students pick certain themes for the student body to dress up in, and it gives everyone an opportunity to portray their school spirit and get out of their uniform for a little bit.

“Every student at school should dress up,” Crawford said. “It is way more fun if everyone is willing to be involved. Also, people don’t realize the hard work that goes into planning such spirit weeks. Take advantage of pretty much free dress for the week!”

Crawford has been involved with ASB since her first year at SMCHS. As a freshman, she was elected Class Representative and that role carried over into sophomore year.

“I was ready for a bigger role in ASB,” she said. “So my sophomore year I ran for ASB Secretary and won. I was very excited.”

The title of ASB Secretary is a major role in the scheme of how ASB works. Crawford, as the secretary, sets the agenda for each meeting.

“I wanted to be Secretary because when I first started out in ASB everyone had great ideas but it was really disorganized,” she said. “Now, my main goal is to keep everyone organized and focused so all the great ideas actually get executed.”

She has experienced four years’ worth of engaging memories and rewarding moments, but she has one in mind that has stands out amongst them all.

“Senior Year ASB Camp,” she said. “It was an unforgettable experience that was so incredibly fun. I loved the night when we did air guitar because everyone goes all out and isn’t afraid to dance, look dumb and just have fun together.”

Crawford was born to stand out. Through her numerous activities, she never fails to be constantly uplifting and encouraging towards the ASB family and the SMCHS community.