Men (and women) in black

Talon Theatre’s tech crew dedicates countless hours to SMCHS productions.

Talon+Theatres+hair+and+makeup+design+crew+completes+the+finishing++touches+to+sophomore+Drew+Schlingmans+character+Steve+Williams+in+the+production+Museum.+

Kianna Rezaei

Talon Theatre’s hair and makeup design crew completes the finishing touches to sophomore Drew Schlingman’s character Steve Williams in the production Museum.

There are other stars of the show that don’t always get the applause.

Behind the curtain, the SMCHS Talon Theatre tech team performs an unseen act of their own. They make sure the show runs smoothly. The tech team works diligently to produce a show each time better than the last. Whether perfecting a hair style, applying makeup or setting up lights, each member has a designated job, and works hard to give the audience Talon Theatre’s finest performance possible.

“It takes months of rehearsal,” said stage manager junior Cameron Farmer. “The cast works incredibly hard to make our shows great. During these months, the tech crew works equally as hard — some building set pieces, some finding costumes, some designing lights and all giving their best effort.

During show week, “techies” dedicate their time producing a high-quality play, while keeping up with schoolwork and sleep.

“Not many people realize how much time goes into being a part of tech,” said sound operator sophomore Michael Juergens. “The whole show depends on everyone doing their job perfectly. We get really exhausted during the weeks leading up to the play. We are at school all day, and then have to be at rehearsal for another seven or so hours.”

Theatre tech works harder and more efficiently than most people give them credit.

“Being on tech is a lot of work and takes a lot of preparation, trial and error,” said hair and makeup designer junior Faith Quigley. “During the show, makeup crew might as well be a relay team, since we’re always running back and forth and preparing for a number of ‘quick changes’.”

Although not often recognized, the Orange County Cappies Gala acknowledged the tech crew in 2015. Talon Theatre’s tech crew won the award for best costumes and special effects in a play, along with nominations for best sound in a play and best make-up, props and stage crew in a musical. Of the 27 schools in Orange County, only the top five in each category were nominated by the Cappies critics.

The tech crew prides itself on working as a team, so if a conflict arises, they know that they can count on each other to get it resolved as smoothly as possible.

“We do our best to make sure the show is problem-free,” Quigley said. “If there is a problem, we make sure it doesn’t affect the show or audience in any way. For example, if someone’s hair is coming undone, we fix it when they’re not in the scene; sometimes we only have as much as 30 seconds to do so.

Even though many “techies” love aiding Talon Theatre’s productions now, many members did not begin with an interest in the field. For some, it was fate that they ended up where they are today.

“I was never really interested in being a part of tech crew,” said sound and light board operator senior Patrick Carpenter. “I didn’t fill out my freshman year elective sheet and was randomly placed in the theater production class. As the year went on, I realized it was rad.”

Once students realize how fascinating the technical side of theatre is, they fall in love with their role and some pursue this area of theater in college.

“I’m planning to go on and major in theater and design and production and maybe production in college,” said Farmer. “After that, hopefully I’ll have made enough connections with people to make a career out of it.”

Even with the countless hours and dedication to theatre, all members of the tech crew agree that it’s worth it.

Make-up and hair designer junior Faith Quigley (right) brings senior Lara Adra's (left) character to life through make-up.
Kianna Rezaei
Make-up and hair designer junior Faith Quigley (right) brings senior Lara Adra’s (left) character to life through make-up.

“Aside from the stress that comes with it, being in tech is a lot of fun,” Juergens said. “You’re always meeting new people and making new friends. There’s no better feeling than when a show goes smoothly, all thanks to you.”

As Talon Theatre’s tech crew continues to produce outstanding plays, it proves that not all stars are in front of the curtain.

If students are interested in joining the Talon Theatre tech crew, they can fill out an application form located on the SMCHS website under the Performing Arts tab, or contact tech director Mike Ritchey at [email protected].