Eagle blood runs deep

Get to know the story behind your new President, Andy Sulick.

New Santa Margarita President, Andy Sulick.

President Andy Sulick goes way back in the Eagle community. Even before his newfound presidency, Sulick was well involved in SMCHS affairs. His wife, brother, sister and both brother-in-laws all attended and graduated from SMCHS. But buried deeper than that is the fact that Andy Sulick was part of our school’s very first graduating class.

“Eagle blood runs deep,” he said.

Coto de Caza plays home to many current and former SMCHS students, but when newly christened Sulick was in high school, Coto, as a whole, was considered foreign.

“Coto was really small,” Sulick said. “There was no south Coto and they were still building in north Coto. You really felt like you were at the end of the Earth in those days.”

Sulick and his former classmates were the pioneers of this very spirited school.

“We had to make all the traditions and form all the traditions that are now part of the school today,” Sulick said.

Aside from wanting to watch all his traditions grab hold in the current SMCHS community, Sulick always knew he would end up back at SMCHS as more than a spectator.

“There were many teachers and coaches that had had an impact on my life when I was in high school and I wanted to give back,” Sulick said. “I was very touched by the work of the teachers and coaches who keep me going in the right direction in my life.”

Sulick went through quite a few jobs before finding himself back at SMCHS. After graduating from the University of Redlands, where he majored in history and minored in education, Sulick came to SMCHS as a social studies teacher and football and golf coach.

After teaching, Sulick became a sales representative for Fed Ex, and two years later he landed Lion territory at Jserra. Now, his wings have taken him back at SMCHS.

“It’s like coming home” Sulick said. “SMCHS is a force for good and that’s probably my favorite thing.”

His first few weeks have been busy and informative, but he’s glad to reconnect with teachers and coaches he’s known for a long time.

“I’ve enjoyed being back,” Sulick said with a smile.

No one is better to judge the changes at SMCHS than Sulick himself, but he finds nothing extraordinarily different about the school — other than new buildings of course! Though he admits to seeing SMCHS through a different lens as president, he still thinks of SMCHS fondly.

“The student body still has great school spirit, excellent teaching and coaching staff, a very experienced professional administration and the school is still sending graduates to some of the best colleges and universities in the country” Sulick said. “I take my responsibilities seriously and I’m committed to continuing the pursuit of excellence that is well ingrained into this community.”

With his vision set high for the future of SMCHS, Sulick proves that once an Eagle always an Eagle.