Tangled two

The Shulman twins learn and grow as independent athletes.

It is an early Saturday morning at SMCHS, but definitely not an uneventful one. As one reaches the main track at SMCHS, the rolling sound of hundreds of strides reverberates the ground. At the front of this stampede is one lone runner, freshman McKenzie Shulman, prepared to reach the finish line in record time. McKenzie begins to glance at the ones waiting for her just beyond the final banner. With a satisfactory smile, she continues her eyes back down to the track, relieved that her sister, freshman Kennedy Shulman, remains her main supporter.

These two twin princesses, freshmen Kennedy and McKenzie Shulman, enjoy their fifteenth birthday together.
courtesy photo

The Shulman sisters have remained inseparable for almost all of their lives. Not only does their twin relationship cause for an immediate pair, but so does their athleticism. McKenzie and Kennedy have been on the same sports teams since early childhood. From softball, basketball, swimming and dance, they always found joy in experimenting their talents together. These twins shared a love of sports and the talent needed to compete in them. However, their first year of high school also happened to be their first year on different teams. McKenzie is on the varsity cross country team; Kennedy is in a subordinate running group. But Kennedy is on the varsity soccer team, while McKenzie is on the JV team.

“When Kenzie made varsity cross country, I was actually really happy for her,” Kennedy said. “At first, I was a little jealous of how good of a runner she was because I am an awful one, but I ended up being super proud of my sister.”

Throughout the cross country season, there were times that McKenzie wished her sister was racing beside her. However, McKenzie believes that their relationship reached another level during the season.

“We supported each other always in cross country and always cheered each other on during the race,” McKenzie said. “Yes, she was in a different running group as me, but we always supported and cheered each other on and I really enjoyed doing that.”

Although Kennedy was in the lower running cross country group, she grew to be one of the main supporters of the varsity team.

“I would always try and help McKenzie out through the hard runs and races,” she said. “I was always waiting for her at the end of the finish lines.”

As cross country season ended, soccer season began. McKenzie and Kennedy had been on the same soccer team since they were seven years old. When tryouts closed and the team lists came out, the twins found their roles had become reversed.

Since they were young, freshmen McKenzie and Kennedy Shulman have shared their love for soccer together.
courtesy photo

“I was so proud when [Kennedy] made varsity soccer because I knew it was her goal,” McKenzie said. “I knew that I was a good player but I figured I wouldn’t make it due to my size and strength, and she has some qualities of her style of play which I do not have. I had to keep reminding myself that we are both unique players and do different things that are good when we play.”

As the new season started, Kennedy began to reevaluate her opinions on being without her sister on the field.

“When McKenzie didn’t make varsity, all I was thinking about was how I was going to survive being on a team with older girls without her being there with me,” Kennedy said. “I ended up kind of liking being on my own, though, and it’s kind of nice to have our own experiences for a change.”

Through their first seasons in SMCHS athletics, McKenzie and Kennedy have definitely explored beyond their normal comfort zones. Although these twins did not compete with each other during this year’s sports, their relationship remains stronger than ever.

“I lean on her for advice and, even though I am older, [Kennedy] is like a role model to me,” McKenzie said. “With and without being on the same teams, she will always be my best friend.”