Artist in action

Corrina Thompson puts her artwork on display at the SMCHS Annual Art Show.

Mar 10, 2015

The drawings, sculptures and photographs reflect individual SMCHS artists. Instead of going on vicious, depressing or delighted rants about their lives and interests, artists pour it all out onto canvases or prints, using different mediums to express their meanings.

For IB Art student Corrina Thompson, art is a passion in her life that never leaves her mind until sleep overtakes her. On Jan. 29, Thompson submitted five pieces for SMCHS’s 3rd Annual Art Show.

With every project they submit in IB Art, students are required to be original and include an explanation that details why they chose to portray their work the way they did.

Acrylics is splashed onto the page to create the chaos and movement of time.
Sophie Yeh

Thompson’s most popular piece, Time, symbolized the chaos of life and the rapid passing of time. It has layers of splattered paint, with a melting clock where numbers are falling down. Thompson’s inspiration was Jackson Pollock, an American abstract expressionist famous for “action painting,” with the use of the “drip and splatter” technique.

“I made that one during junior year,” Thompson said. “It’s a very chaotic time. I never slept and I had so much to do, so I just felt like time was flying by so fast. I never got to slow down and just relax. When I did the splatter paint, I was angry at it. It’s supposed to look kind of stressed out and it’s supposed to draw your attention in, because you can’t see the numbers very clearly. Some of the numbers are hidden in there, so you have to really look.”

After looking back to the previous high school years, Corrina Thompson is moving on to the real world outside.
Sophie Yeh

Corrina’s Moving On is a photo collage of SMCHS students facing towards a gate that is opened to what seems like a city at nighttime with blurring city lights. Then, acrylic is used over these photos for touch-up and enhancement. Thompson took the photos, painted the bars, and cut out the pictures of people she took.

“I made this at the time when I was deciding about college, and I was depicting moving on and going out into the real world,” Thompson said. “This kind of represents how we’ve been closed in, we’ve been sheltered, but at the same time it prevented us from seeing the real world, and now they’re opening and we’re leaving.”

The Three Fates hold the snip to the thread of life.
Sophie Yeh

Inspired by the Greek mythology of the three Fates who control human destinies, Corrina uses pencil in Hands of Fate to draw the purposes of these three goddesses. Then, Thompson uses a red string to thread through paper to represent a person’s life. According to the myth, Clotho spun the thread of human fate, Lachesis (Allotter) gives the fate and Atropos (Inflexible) determines the time of death by cutting the thread.

“This represents life itself and it’s showing the progression of it,” Thompson said. “Here [in the middle] is supposed to show the ups and downs of life. Life is not always a straight line, it’s always very messy.”

A mysterious person holds a picture of the prosperous Detroit in front of the same, yet fading building.
Sophie Yeh

Over the 2014 summer, Thompson researched the history of Detroit to find inspiration for her art. As the automobile capital of the world, the place where Henry Ford invented Model T, Detroit just recently declared bankruptcy and is now below the poverty line. In response, locals held up pictures of the city’s prosperous past.

“This is what I was creating [in my sketch, Detroit]. It used to be a flourishing city, and behind it, it’s fading out and falling apart,” Thompson said.

Through these pictures, Thompson has a clear passion for art and its effectiveness as a form of expression.

“It’s fun,” Thompson said. “You can make it however you want, not like math, where there’s specific answers. IB Art teaches you how to put yourself into the project, use research for inspiration, like other artists and things. But you can’t be wrong with art.”