More than just a holiday

Candy corn, pumpkin spice and costume parties.

Christmas is a religious holiday, Valentine’s Day reminds singles they are “forever alone”, and nobody really cares about Groundhog Day… it’s in March, right? Whether it’s enjoying a movie night with friends, or running from house to house in search for candy, Halloween is the holiday that brings everyone together.

Art teacher Todd Robey dresses up as a pumpkin-headed cowboy.

“I like the time of year and how the weather changes,” said art teacher Todd Robey. “Since I am an artist, I am very visual. I like the decorations and the colors, the lights and the pumpkins, and the Jack-o-Lanterns that light up at night. There is just a lot of visual imagery that is a lot of fun.”

As an artist, Robey likes to think of every day as Halloween, minus the costumes. But when Oct. 31 comes around, Robey will hardly be recognized.

“I am kind of old for costumes, but I am also kind of a big kid, so it’s fun,” Robey said. “Last year, I was a pumpkin-headed cowboy.”

Robey gets his inspiration from his own wild imagination. With a love for horror movies and everything scary, he can usually come up with costumes pretty easily.

“Two years ago I made my costume up the morning of,” Robey said. “I just got up and put something together.”

Although it may come easy for Robey, other people struggle to come up with good costume ideas, let alone figure out how to bring them to life. Regardless of the struggle, the majority of SMCHS students still prefer to create their own costumes.

costume

Last year, seniors Haley Cahill and Lauren McAlindin proved their costume-making skills when they won ‘Best Twin Costumes’ at a costume party.

“We were looking for unique ideas because we didn’t want to do the stereotypical outfits,” McAlindin said. “After a lot of thinking, we came up with the idea of being snowmen.”

After weeks of trying to find matching tutus, top hats and scarves, Cahill and McAlindin came up with the perfect twin costumes.

Seniors Lauren McAlindin and Haley Cahill smile in surprise after winning 'Best Twin Costume'
Seniors Lauren McAlindin and Haley Cahill smile in surprise after winning ‘Best Twin Costume’

For Cahill, her favorite part about Halloween is all in the costumes. She loves seeing what everyone else comes up with and the positive energy the holiday brings.

“I love the spirit of it,” Cahill said. “It’s not like Christmas where everyone gets super uptight and worried about perfection. Everyone is just super chill and wants to have a good time being their alter-egos in their costumes.”

Costumes may be great, but if there is nowhere to wear the costumes, the night loses a lot of fun.

“When I was younger I was super pumped about getting candy and filling up my pillow case,” Cahill said. “Now that I am older I still want to get dressed up, but I don’t really care about collecting candy anymore.”

While the majority of students would prefer to spend their night at a party with all their friends, trick-or-treating remains popular.
trick“My favorite part is trick-or-treating because you can’t be too old to trick-or-treat,” said sophomore Dylan Field. “My favorite memories come from going door-to-door with my neighbors.”

For 5 year olds and 17 year olds alike, trick-or-treating is a tradition that will live on forever. But for some, the trick-or-treating phase ended with the start of high school.

“When I was younger it was all about the candy,” McAlindin said. “Trick-or-treating was my favorite part but now it is more like watching scary movies with friends.”

Even when it comes time to leave the pillow cases in the closet, Halloween will continue to be a time to gather with family and friends. There is a magic about the holiday that allows everyone to put their guard down for the night and just let loose.

“I was always shy, all my life,” said Christine Veilleux, French and psychology teacher. “I realized when I had a costume on I was not shy at all. I could talk to anyone I wanted.”

For Veilleux, Halloween is more than just a holiday, but a day when she cannot be sad — no matter the circumstances.

“In 1999, 31 of October, my dad passed away from cancer,” Veilleux said. “I knew he did it for me because he knew I would not be sad if it was Halloween. That same night I went to my friend’s restaurant and they had a Halloween party and nobody knew I just lost my dad because I was just happy to be there with costumes around me.”

Veilleux is never seen with a frown when it is Halloween. She always goes all out on her costumes in order to make others smile.

“I do it for my students,” Veilleux said. “It makes them laugh and they give me big hugs because they think it’s really cool and funny. I just do it to see their expression and see how much they enjoy it.”

On Halloween, Veilleux will always be found with a clever costume, a bright smile and candy to pass out.

Halloween is a night for candy and pranks, but also a night for friends and family to spend together laughing and letting loose.