Think pink

The Pink Ribbon Club is raising breast cancer awareness among SMCHS students.

October has arrived and it seems like everywhere we look, we catch glimpses of pink. ­From the ribbon wrapped trees on campus to dashes of pink on the football field, everyone at SMCHS seems to be thinking pink.

SMCHS students are thinking pink and supporting breast cancer awareness on 'pink day'.
Monique Beals
SMCHS students are thinking pink and supporting breast cancer awareness on ‘pink day’.

According to breastcancer.org, one in every eight, or over 12 percent, of American women develop breast cancer in their lifetimes. Even more shocking, 85 percent of those women have no family history of breast cancer.

While movements are going on this month around the world to raise awareness for breast cancer, the Pink Ribbon Club is ensuring that SMCHS students take action in this movement as well.

Senior Julia Machuga and junior Lillie Lustig are co-presidents of this club, which has become an SMCHS tradition. Machuga’s passion for the club has personal roots.

“The club is important to me personally because my grandmother is a breast cancer survivor,” Machuga said.  “Breast cancer occurs too often among our loved ones, and the Pink Ribbon club is a great way to raise awareness and money for the cause while supporting patients who are currently fighting.”

Junior Alexis O’Rourke has been a member of the club for three years now and continues to see the club’s presence grow. O’Rourke is one of the many people at SMCHS who recognize the importance of being involved in campaigns like these.

“I joined the Pink Ribbon Club, because it has been around for a while at SM, and it supports a great cause,” O’Rourke said.  “I thought it would be fun to join something that I would enjoy while at the same time helping people in the community.”

While all students had the opportunity to participate in Pink Day during spirit week, the Pink Ribbon Club does so much more than just that.

Monique Beals

“Every year we do bake sales during the month of October where we sell pink cookies, pink cupcakes and bracelets,” O’Rourke said.  “I also remember freshmen year doing a ‘Girls Night In’ where we made blankets, watched movies and had fun while supporting a great cause. This year we are also doing a ‘Coins for a Change’ coin drive and a pink out at the football game this weekend.”

At the end of October, the Pink Ribbon Club will donate all of the proceeds from these events to City of Hope, a cancer research hospital right here in Southern California.

“In the past, the club has donated money to various breast cancer research organizations and hospitals, as well as written numerous letters and made blankets for breast cancer patients,” Machuga said.

Breast cancer awareness is an incredibly important movement, but what does it mean for SMCHS students and why should we participate?

“I think it’s cool that we participate in this, because it takes us out of the Orange County bubble and exposes us to issues that not only affect our small community, but others as well,“ O’Rourke said.