Both Kairos groups hold up four fingers to represent Living the Fourth. (Bruce Tollner)
Both Kairos groups hold up four fingers to represent Living the Fourth.

Bruce Tollner

Live the fourth

Beyond Kairos, seniors are challenged to live "in God's time."

Oct 15, 2014

Doubt the first.

Cry the second.

Trust the third.

Live the fourth.

A saying used on all Kairos retreats which, after you attend, will become very relevant to your everyday life.

On Saturday, Oct. 4, seniors Carrie Marquart and Cassidy Tollner held a class of 2015 Kairos bonfire. Students from both the K117 and K118 retreats gathered for an amazing night of games, food and worship at the Tollner beach house in Newport Beach.

“We wanted to host the bonfire to provide an opportunity for the two Kairos groups to bond with each other to unify the senior class even more,” Tollner said. “It was a relaxed setting for the seniors so they could be able to hang out with other Kairos members and share memories while not being in an academic setting.”

Kairos means “In God’s time”, and it is a four-day senior retreat held at the Whispering Winds Catholic Conference Center. Both K117 and K118 participants spent a week examining their lives and their goal, and discovering their passion for living by God’s will. On the retreat, the students participated in reflection, music, prayer, small groups and bonfires.

“Going on Kairos and participating in the events is one thing, but actually continuing to let the fire burn after Kairos is another,” said Francis Cabildo, director of retreats. “These kids are the perfect example of going out and living the fourth. No one is forcing them to get together to celebrate God; they are doing this on their own.”

On the fourth day of Kairos, senior Mikey Figueroa gave an inspiring talk about “what happens after” the retreat ends. Figueroa said it is up to the students on the trip to keep the fire for God burning and to not let it extinguish regardless of what life throws at you.

“Following Kairos, I have definitely tried my best to live out the fourth,” said senior Carlos Alvarez. “Humanity is sinful in its very nature, so obviously I haven’t been perfect and I have struggled a lot with displaying this very love to other’s around me.”

Alvarez said that “living the fourth” isn’t about being perfect, but it’s about trying your best to keep God at the center of your life.

“Following Kairos, I have tried to live the fourth by looking at the bright side of certain situations while becoming closer with God by praying more,” said senior Jake Fisher.

The K117 and K118 bonfire was just one example of students bringing God to the center of their lives and enjoying the fruits of His love.

“My favorite part of the night was being able to reunite with everyone that was on K118 because after Kairos everyone is on this crazy, amazing ‘Kai-High’ and everyone loves everyone, and everyone is so incredibly on fire for God, but after a while that feeling goes away,” Fisher said. “But you could tell that when everyone saw each other they automatically could feel the connection again and quickly reignited their fire-burning love for God.”

The bonfire included some lighthearted competition with group volleyball and a K117 vs. K118 football game, which was dominated by senior Carrie Marquart.

“It was really fun to bond with our own Kairos group again in a new, competitive way,” Tollner said. “It is incredible to see how bonded everyone is with their Kairos groups, and not to mention the overall bond felt between both Kairos groups together.”

The night came to a peaceful and moving end when senior Mikey Shiraishi pulled out his guitar and led the group in worship on the beach to some favorite Kairos songs. Most importantly, the night was full of LOVE.

“The biggest lesson I learned from Kairos, and what was re-ignited from the bonfire, was that people actually love you,” Alvarez said. “Your parents, relatives and friends all love you. That love that is demonstrated to you is the love of God working through these people that you hold closest to in your life.”

If you are a senior and are interested in attending a Kairos retreat there are three more retreats this year. K119 is from Jan. 13-16 and currently has a waiting list. A new retreat has been added due to popular demand: K120 will take place on Feb. 10-13. K121 takes place from March 3-6 and spots are available. These retreats fill up quickly, so sign up now!